Kicky "Burnt" Parsnips and Carrots
What you'll need...
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" wide sticks about half the length of the carrot
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2" wide sticks about half the length of the parsnip
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp ginger root, freshly grated
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or your favorite "heat" pepper)
- 1 wedge (about 1/2 lb) Brie cheese (keep cool and cube or chop up inside - no rinds)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
What to do...
Preheat oven to Broil at 400 degrees F.
toss all ingredients, except the brie, in a large bowl and mix with a large wooden spoon or with your hands (food service gloves work nicely) until all the parsnips and carrots are coated with ingredients and Brie is well distributed.
Transfer bowl contents to a baking sheet and spread out so your root veggie sticks are not on top of each other. Broil for about 12 minutes. Watch them... they are done when the veggies show some "charring."
Take out of the oven and immediately sprinkle Brie over the mix and let sit for 5 minutes before serving so the Brie can melt.
Note: If you do not want the thermogenic factor from the hot pepper, you can eliminate that ingredient. If you like "sweet", consider swapping out the lemon juice for orange juice.