Run for the Board of Directors
The Brattleboro Food Co-op Board of Directors consists of nine members, elected from the general membership. Of the nine, no fewer than one, and no more than two, must be staff members of the Co-op. All Board members represent the entire membership. Elections are held annually and Directors serve for a term of three years.
Our bylaws allow for candidates to submit application materials to run for a seat as late as two weeks prior to the Annual Meeting. It is strongly advised that interested candidates apply by the first week of October, as the the Annual Meeting is in November. This gives the Co-op the time to publicize your candidacy vial emails and mailings to shareholders.
Applications for Candidates
- Download Printable Application (PDF) Print, complete and either mail completed application to the Board Administrator: c/o Brattleboro Food Co-op, 2 Main Street, Brattleboro, VT 05301, or drop it off in a sealed envelope at the Shareholder Services Counter at the Co-op.
Board candidates must:
- Be a Brattleboro Food Co-op shareholder in good standing, defined as being current in equity payments
- Be 18 years of age as of November 9, 2020
- If elected, state all potential conflicts of interest by signing a Code of Conduct form
In an effort to better educate new candidates about Board work, including the time commitment involved and the associated responsibilities, the Board has created a list of recommended preparedness activities. The checklist is as follows:
- Read the following materials:
- Review a Board packet from a prior meeting. Brattleboro’s Board packets are reading materials that each Board Member receives prior to each meeting. Each Board Member reads the packet in order to be prepared to fully participate in the monthly Board meeting. You can request a sample Board packet from the Board Administrator.
- Attend a Board meeting. All Board meetings are held at the Co-op, in our upstairs conference room (not the community room) on the first Monday of each month, excluding holiday Mondays (in which case, the meeting is the following Monday).
- Please RSVP to Board Administrator.
- A Co-op staff member will meet you at Customer Service just before 5:15pm to escort you upstairs to the conference room.
- Meetings include a shared meal; please alert the Board Administrator to any dietary needs you may have.
- The Board packet will be available to you at the meeting.
- Talk with a current Board Member. This will give you a Board Member’s perspective of the Co-op’s governance process.
Contact the Board of Directors to get in touch with a Board Member directly.
Voting will not be active/available again until November, 2020.
Voting is available online and in store at the end of the Annual meeting and remain active for two weeks.
Eligible shareholders will receive detailed information with instructions on how to cast their online ballots in their email, or by stopping at Shareholder Services during the voting period.