Run for the Board of Directors
The Brattleboro Food Co-op Board of Directors consists of nine members, elected from the general membership. Of the nine, no fewer than one, and no more than two, must be staff members of the Co-op. All Board members represent the entire membership. Elections are held annually and Directors serve for a term of three years.
Our bylaws allow for candidates to submit application materials to run for a seat as late as two weeks prior to the Annual Meeting. It is strongly advised that interested candidates apply by the first week of September, as the the Annual Meeting is in November. This gives the Co-op the time to publicize your candidacy via emails and mailings to shareholders.
Applications for Candidates
- Click here to apply online!
- Click here to download and print an application (PDF):
- Once downloaded, print your document to complete by hand
- Once completed, send it to the Board Administrator in one of the following ways:
- Mail: Board Administrator: c/o Brattleboro Food Co-op, 2 Main Street, Brattleboro, VT 05301,
- In Person: Place in a sealed envelope with “Attention: Board Administrator” clearly visible, and drop it off at the Customer Service Counter at the Co-op,
- Email: Feel free to scan your completed application and attach to an email addressed to Board@BFC.coop.
Questions? Contact the Board Administrator, Sarah Brennan, at SarahB@BFC.coop
To become a Board candidate, you must:
- Be a Brattleboro Food Co-op shareholder in good standing, defined as being current in equity payments
- Be 18 years of age as of November 10, 2021
- If elected, state all potential conflicts of interest by signing a Code of Conduct form
In an effort to better educate new candidates about Board work, including the time commitment involved and the associated responsibilities, the Board has created a list of recommended preparedness activities. The checklist is as follows:
- Read the following materials:
- The Board Candidate Pamphlet
Click here to view online &/or download a printable PDF
- The Board Candidate Pamphlet
- Review a Board packet from a prior meeting. Brattleboro’s Board packets are reading materials that each Board Member receives prior to each meeting. Each Board Member reads the packet in order to be prepared to fully participate in the monthly Board meeting. You can request a sample Board packet via email from the Board Administrator, SarahB@BFC.coop.
- Attend a Board meeting. Board Meetings are held via Zoom (Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing application) on the first Monday of each month, excluding holiday Mondays (when the Co-op is closed).When a holiday Monday prevents the board from meeting on the first Monday, the meeting will automatically be rescheduled for the following Monday.
- Please RSVP to Board Administrator, SarahB@BFC.coop.
- A Co-op staff member will meet you at Customer Service just before 5:15pm to escort you upstairs to the conference room.
- The Board packet will be available to you at the meeting.
- Talk with a current Board Member. This will give you a Board Member’s perspective of the Co-op’s governance process.
Contact the Board of Directors to get in touch with a Board Member directly.
Voting is available online and in store at the end of the Annual meeting and remain active for two weeks.
Eligible shareholders will receive detailed information with instructions on how to cast their online ballots in their email, or by stopping at Customer Service during the voting period.