Why become a shareholder?
Although the Brattleboro Food Co-op is open to the public, we strongly rely on shareholder investments to provide the financial foundation needed for our store to grow and thrive.
If you are a shopper who is committed to buying organic and whole foods, committed to supporting local industry and family farms, and believe in cooperative ownership, we encourage you to invest in the longevity of our store. You will reap the benefits of being a Co-op shareholder and use your voting power to direct future business decisions.
Your lifetime investment of $80* promotes the growth and sustainability of our store. Your investment dollars will stay in our community. The entire amount can be paid at the time of joining, or it can be broken up into smaller payments, over as much as two years. You will purchase one share of our business.
* Single Share: Your one-time investment of $80 can be paid over 18 months; Family Shares: Households of two adults and their dependent children under 18 can pay their one-time investment of $160 over 3 ½ years.
Here are the benefits of becoming a Co-op Shareholder:
• You will become part of a successful 40+ year cooperative dedicated to the development and sustainability of a strong local food system.
• You will find pride in keeping your Co-op a vibrant and sustainable community-owned resource for years to come.
• You receive a FREE subscription to Food for Thought, the Co-op’s monthly printed newsletter
• You will receive an electronic subscription to our twice monthly e-news.
• You will have a voice in the Co-op! Vote in annual elections and other Co-op owner votes.
• You may choose to run as a candidate in Board elections.
• You will be eligible to take FREE yoga and spinning classes, FREE and discounted adult classes, and many FREE cooking classes for children, tweens, teens, and adults.
• You will have FREE use of the Co-op Community Room (some restrictions do apply).
• You will be invited to the Annual Meeting meal and receive a FREE copy of the Co-op’s Annual Report.
• You will receive an 8% discount as a working shareholder (2 hours per month – ask for details).
• You will receive10% off purchases during our Shareholder Appreciation events.
• You will receive discounts on pre-order case lots. Save big!
• You will receive special Shareholder offers and coupons throughout the year.
• You will receive an 8% discount (for elders), and a 10% discount (for those who qualify for our Food for All program) if you qualify.
• As a Shareholder. you may receive a share of the profits based on your patronage when the board declares a patronage dividend, after the close of the Co-op’s fiscal year.
• You will have check writing privileges for up to $40 over the amount of purchase.
More options for becoming a Shareholder
Shareholders and customers have the opportunity to give feedback to the BFC in many ways.
- First and foremost, we welcome any and all suggestions and comments verbally to any staff member.
- The Shareholder Services desk is staffed every day from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm to further facilitate communication.
- We also have feedback forms available in 8-10 locations around the store for folks to write down their ideas, suggestions, or questions.
- Board members generally table in the store for a few hours every month to solicit comments and suggestions. Check the calendar here, in the Food for Thought newsletter, or posted throughout the store to see when this month’s session is scheduled.
You may contact Shareholder Services 7 days a week:
By Telephone: 802-257-0236 ext 821
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a note using our Contact Form!
Or stop by the Shareholder Services any day: 10:00 am – 7:00 pm