What is the Working Shareholder Program?
BFC Shareholders can get a 5% discount on all purchases by working 2 hours per month. Shareholders are NOT required to work, it’s completely optional. The roots of the Working Shareholder program go back to our origins, when we formed as a buying club in 1975. In those days everyone who bought food through the Co-op had to work – our first proper employee wasn’t even hired until a few years after the Co-op was formed! Today, employees do the lion’s share of the labor, but Shareholders still play an important role in supporting the work we do here at the BFC.
How do I become a Working Shareholder?
Just do some Shareholder Hours! There’s no special process to becoming a Working Shareholder, but you do need to be in communication with the Shareholder Services department. We’ll help you figure out what jobs might work best for you, show you how to log your hours, and answer any questions you might have. Come visit us at the Shareholder Services desk (10am-6pm every day), call us at 802-246-2821 (leave a voicemail!), or email us at email@example.com, and we’ll help get you started.
What kind of jobs are available?
Working Shareholder options during COVID-19
There are many ways Shareholders can help us and our community, safely!
- Commitment to Community: visit this page for information and instructions on using volunteer time for your Co-op discount
- Sew bags to raise money for our Shareholder Assistance Fund – contact us via the information below for more information
- Sew masks for our staff and the community: read this blog post for information and instructions
- Groundskeeping/Garden: contact us via the information below for more information
- We have re-opened the Bulk department to Shareholder Workers. Read this page for all the information.
Many In-Store Working Shareholder jobs are on hold during the pandemic for the safety of our customers and our staff, including:
- Kitchen Prep
- Cheese Cutting
- Grocery Shelving and Fronting/Facing
Read our July 8, 2020 post for more information