This flavorful cherry chutney transforms ordinary grilled chicken. The chutney is also delicious on lamb, pork and duck.
- 1/2 pound fresh cherries, washed and pitted
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup apple, diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (more for spicier chutney)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except the chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low for about 1 hour, stirring frequently to prevent burning and sticking. The chutney is finished once it has thickened and there is almost no liquid.
Preheat grill to medium high heat. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and grill 5-6 minutes on each side until juices run clear and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from heat to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes before serving, topped with the chutney.